October 23, 2018
Please download the latest firmware update for GH5 (version 2.4) and GH5S (version 1.2). here are the release notes from Panasonic:
- Improvement of AF performance
– There were cases where focus point was shifted to the background while tracking the subject in AFC mode. The new firmware minimizes this problem.– There were cases where focus point was shifted to the background while tracking the subject in video recording. The new firmware minimizes this problem.
- Improvement of video recording operation
– [One Push AE] failed to operate when [SS/Gain Operation] is set to [ANGLE/ISO] while shooting in Creative Video M mode. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed time code bug
– There were cases where the time code was reset when the battery was replaced. This bug has been fixed.
- Improvement of 6K PHOTO/4K PHOTO operation
– There were cases where the intended frame was not cut out of the footage in 6K PHOTO/4K PHOTO. This bug has been fixed.
…And a quick test produced by Cinema5D:
May 5, 2018 (Version 2.3 & 1.1)
Here’s an outline of improvements made to the recent firmware update for the GH5 and GH5S:
1. Improved auto-focus performance – the AF speed at 180d (180°) was improved when displaying the shutter speed in degrees in[SS/Gain Operation]>[ANGLE/ISO]
2. Improved image stabiliser performance –in some cases, distortion appeared during video recording during walking scenes with Panasonic wide-angle lenses (H-F007014, H-E08018). This bug has been fixed.
3. Improved sound recording performance – sound quality has been improved by optimising the noise reduction performance of the internal noise reduction microphone.
4. New functions:
- Monochrome D has been added to the Photo Style. The Grain effect can also be added and adjusted in the Photo Style
- The[Live View Boost] function has been added, making it easier to control composition on the monitor in a dimly lit environment – Night mode has been added, reducing glare on screens when recording in low light conditions
- The[Focus Ring Lock] function has been added to the[Custom] menu, which disables the focus ring to lock focus.-[WB/ISO/Expo.Button] has been added, which allows you to set the WB/ISO/Exposure exposure only when the exposure compensation button is pressed.
- The[Dial] option has been added to[Custom] >[Operation Lock Lock Setting]; the[Power/Wireless] indicator has been added to the[Setup] menu, allowing the wireless status indicator and connection light to be turned off.
5. Other improvements:
- The[LUT Monitor Display*] and[LUT HDMI Display*] functions can be used in playback mode
- DMW-SFU1 software key (sold separately) is required for VLog use. [Focus Ring Lock],[E-Stabilization(Video)],[Mic Rec Level Disp.
- The[LUT Monitor Display*],[LUT HDMI Display*] and[Night Mode] keys can be assigned to the Fn button which operates in playback mode.
- The Vector Scope can be displayed on the screen while white balance is being set. images can be selected from the grouped burst display in[RAW Processing] mode.
- You can choose to shorten the remote operation and image transfer or remote shutter control time in[Setup]>[Bluetooth]>[Returning from Sleep Mode]. The status of the remaining battery is indicated by quarter gauge, approximately 25% per gauge.
- In some cases, folder names were corrupted when wirelessly connecting to a Windows PC10. This bug has been fixed.
Here’s the main thing to remember.
– Addition of a”Photostyle L/Monochrome D” image style and a random grain function to get closer to a silver rendering of the photos. The picture shows
– Added a”Focus ring lock” function to prevent the ring from operating unintentionally
-Added”Live view boost” &”Night mode” functions to adapt the LCD lighting to the shooting context (e.g. not to be dazzled when shooting at night)
– The zoom function for focusing (up to x20) has been improved
More importantly, Panasonic reacted to the”Hack” found by users that improved the video focus speed: by setting the shutter at 179°, we got a much faster AF.
The update further improves 5-axis stabilization (for GH5). And finally, we find a lot of new ergonomics changes that may lead to further ergonomic changes, including a battery indicator that changes to 4 bars instead of 3.